Here today we are going to tell you how to avoid dental problems with preventive dentistry. Preventive dentistry focuses on inculcating daily habits which could prevent dental diseases such as tartar, plaque, and dental caries and protect the patient from seeking any sort of restorative dental care which in turns contributes to the healthy oral environment. There are several ways of practicing preventive dentistry such as Flossing, Regular Brushing teeth, Regular dental check-up, among other things. Preventing dentistry can lead to one having teeth for their whole life without much hassle and less dental treatment.
There are numerous ways in which Preventive Dentistry could lead to better oral health –
- Caries Free Teeth– The Preventive Dentistry could contribute to caries-free teeth. It promotes habits which essentially focus on keeping our mouth healthy and free from Tooth Decay, Tartar, among other things. Dental caries is caused by the sugar and carbohydrates that are turned into acids once these enter into our mouth. Over time this acid affects the hard tooth enamel which leads to the destruction of the teeth. If actions are not taken, these elements reach the inner layer of our teeth where the sensitive nerves and soft pulp is present. These cause the decay of the tooth and important teeth elements. The acids could also seep through the pores it the enamel of our teeth. Preventive dentistry focuses on controlling these aspects so that they don’t affect the teeth negatively.
- Early identification and prevention– Preventive Dentistry emphasizes on Regular dental checkups. Regular dental checkups should be made on a six-month or twice on a yearly basis, else according to the individual needs. The dentist does a thorough inspection of for any signs of oral diseases or problems. They also check up for any new cavities and old cavities which existed. A regular cleaning of teeth is required. The dentist makes it sure that the regular cleaning is done so that the tartar, plaque buildup could be removed and tooth decay could be prevented. cleanups are required even if one regularly brushes teeth as these cleanups reach parts which are normally not accessible through brushing or flossing. Once the dentist examines the teeth and checks for any dental problems then they might be able to suggest any further treatment or check up which needs to be done, such as X-rays, among other things. So this is how preventive dentistry could help in avoiding oral problems through regular dentist visit.
- Protecting from potential loses– Preventive dentistry also focuses on preventing activities which could cause any dental injury or be doing activities which could avoid any dental injury. Below are two of the things that preventive dentistry suggest –
1. Mouth Guards– Mouth guards are used to preventing any sort of injury which could happen through any sports or activities which presents the potential for injury. These could be worn by children or adults who are in regular contact with sports. There are two kinds of mouth guards which could be used
- Customized mouth guards– These mouth guards are customized for an individual who is going to use them. These could be made at dental clinics according to the requirements.
- Boil and Bite– These mouth guards could be used without any customization. These are available at sports store and help in preventing injuries and teeth grinding which could cause TMJ or temporomandibular joint disorder.
2. Fits and Fissures– These fits and fissures could protect from tooth decay, Plaque builds up by preventing exposition of the tooth to the external elements. These help in preventing numerous dental problems such as dental caries and these are suggested to be worn by children and adults too.